Two Americans Found Dead at Hyatt Rancho Pescadero

by Anthony Losanno
Rancho Pescadero

Advertiser Disclosure: The Bulkhead Seat earns an affiliate commission for anyone approved through the links below. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. We work to provide the best publicly available offers to our readers. We frequently update them, but this site does not include all available offers.

The Rancho Pescadero is part of Hyatt’s Unbound Collection. The luxe beachfront resort opened in 2022 and is located on the coast of Baja California Sur, Mexico. The hotel has distinctive hacienda-style architecture and boasts a range of amenities and activities, including a spa, multiple pools, a fitness center, and several dining options. The Daily Mail is reporting that now it’s also where two bodies were found.

On Tuesday, John Heathco, 41, and Abby Lutz, 22 were found dead in their hotel room. Police and medical personnel arrived around 9:00 PM and found them unresponsive. They were pronounced dead at the scene with a cause of death suspected as “intoxication by substance to be determined.” Authorities said they had been dead for approximately 10-11 hours. There were no signs of foul play.

Carbon Monoxide

My mind immediately goes to carbon monoxide poisoning. This is something you think about at home, but not while traveling and especially near boilers used to heat pools, there is a risk. Last year, three friends passed away from carbon monoxide poisoning at an Airbnb in Mexico. In 2018, an American couple and their two children died from a gas leak caused by a water heater in the resort town of Tulum. An improperly installed gas line at a Playa del Carmen hotel killed five Canadian tourists and two Mexican citizens in 2010. This is a sad situation and I give my heartfelt condolences to their families.

One weird part of this story is what was revealed in the GoFundMe that was organized by Lutz’ family to cover transportation and funeral costs. According to her family, the couple went to the hospital a few days prior complaining about possible food poisoning. They reportedly felt better and then the family received a call saying that they had passed away.

Anthony’s Take: This is scary. The cause of death has not been fully identified, but carbon monoxide poisoning seems the most likely reason. You never know when tragedy will strike and need to live life to its fullest. Hoping answers are found and this is addressed quickly.

(Featured Image Credit: Hyatt.)

User Generated Content Disclosure: The Bulkhead Seat encourages constructive discussions, comments, and questions. Responses are not provided by or commissioned by any bank advertisers. These responses have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the responsibility of the bank advertiser to respond to comments.

Leave a Comment

Related Articles